4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Sick sick sick

We have a nasty cold in my house!! I think Ronan and I caught it when we went to a Mom and Tots group last week. There were so many coughing and runny nosed kids running around. Taking care of a sick baby is no fun, especially when I am sick too He screams when he is feeding because he's hungry but can't breathe. He doesn't sleep more than an hour or two at a time. He wants to be held all the time, so I don't have time to even eat! And I'm not resting either. I have been putting saline drops in his nose at every feeding, sucking out the mucus with an aspirator a couple of times a day, have a humidifier running all the time, and I even propped up the mattress in his crib last night. So far, Scott isn't sick, and I hope he doesn't get it. At that point, it would be a "man cold" and I'd have to take care of TWO babies!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Lindsey, I'm so sorry! It's so hard to be sick and to have a sick baby. That happened to me when my daughter was about 6 weeks old, but it was just me that got sick, but I was so sick I couldnt get out of bed. She was breast feeding so I just laid in bed on my side and let her nurse.. I could hardly sit up. It was awful. Thankfully though, she didn't catch it. The other thing is that you have very little immunity to what we call "baby bugs". So that means for a while, you may get sick every time he does for awhile until you build up immunity to his illnesses. When my daughter had Abigail, we all were sick for a couple of years. But it all does pass pretty soon!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Lindsey I crack up with your last sentence.

Hopefully you two will get better soon. Sending positive thoughts and energy for a speedy recovery.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh my gosh, a couple of YEARS Gayle??? Yikes!!!

I am feeling a bit better now but I am also taking cold meds which poor Ronan can't take! He is still quite stuffy. But he did sleep for a 7 hour stretch last night so hopefully with more rest, his body is fighting it better!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 05-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Happy to hear that your both feeling better
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
DIANE W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Oh my gosh, a couple of YEARS Gayle??? Yikes!!!

I am feeling a bit better now but I am also taking cold meds which poor Ronan can't take! He is still quite stuffy. But he did sleep for a 7 hour stretch last night so hopefully with more rest, his body is fighting it better!
Lindsey....... I have heard an old fashioned remedy for bunged up, stuffy cold symptoms. I don't know if you have it, but it's a vapour rub called Vicks, little jar of menthol rub. I remember it from childhood, used to rub your chest, good for coughs and colds.
Well if you rub it on the bottom of the feet, then put socks on, the theory is it stops the snuffles etc. Don't think it can do any harm, and it may help him settle a little bit?

Poor little mite, it's awful when they are unwell.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

We do have Vicks, and my mom used to put it on our feet too growing up! But I've heard I can't put it on a baby. They do make baby Vicks though and I should really see if I can find it anywhere. Ronan is sounding just awful today Since I'm sick I've been rubbing Vicks on myself too, and holding him close to me so hopefully he can breathe it in. Tonight I am going to have a warm bath with eucalyptus bath salts and I will bring him in the bath with me to wash him too and hopefully the eucalyptus scent will clear his nose a bit. I feel so helpless! Poor little guy

Old 05-11-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
DIANE W

Lindsey your right, there is a baby Vicks, It has good reviews and recommendations, so could help.... Makes me wonder just how different it it to the normal one though?

I found a picture.... If it uploads correctly.

I hope the baby soon starts to get better..... Bless him x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.2 KB, 1 views)

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lindsey, start the shower in the bathroom on HOT, shut the door and let the room steam up. Then take Ronan in there with the door shut and sit there with him in the bathroom with the shower still running for as long as you can stand the heat (I don't mean get in the shower, just sit in the bathroom). The steam from the shower will help clear his congestion a bit. Is he still eating good? My friends had to take their baby to the hospital and he's still here because he was so stuffed up he couldn't eat. He's the same age as Ronan.

Last edited by gja1000; 05-11-2014 at 09:52 AM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I have tried the steam Gayle and it helps for a bit but he stuffs right back up again! He is still eating well. I try to use the aspirator on his nose to suck out the mucus before he eats if he is seeming really stuffy. Sick babies are the worst!!!! I feel so bad for him all the time.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

He'll be OK, if he can eat and is resting. It'll get better!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
Shada

I pray you and little Ronan are feeling 100 percent better on the mend.... how horrible for you two!!! Did you try the baby Vicks?
Prayers sent your way... hope Scott stays well, like you said so well, men can be babies!!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Scott found baby Vicks and brought it home.... and the package says not to use before 3 months! So he suffered but thankfully he is getting better now